Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Loki- the god people hate or love and my stance on him


Loki is the Norse god who brings about Ragnarok. As I understand it, most Heathens don't like him, some hate him, and some worship him. Then there are the Hiddleston fans who took up interest in him because of the Marvel movies. 

But me, well, I don't hate him, I don't dislike him, and I don't worship him. I see his importance as a catalyst figure in Norse mythology. He has a purpose and even though that purpose is to bring about the end, I don't necessarily see that as evil. I suppose you could say that I respect his function. I understand that he is a trickster and instigation God, that he messes with the other Gods and got Baldr killed (no, I don't like that), but in the end, I suppose I have a sort of polite indifference. Perhaps that is rude. Perhaps that will inevitably piss people off. Either way, that's my stance. Take it or leave it, but don't bitch about it. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember when learning about the Norse gods in school (all Swedes get "religion studies" which is learning about all the major religions in the world - very different from "religious studies :)) Loki was viewed more as a trickster, a nuisance, and not at all as destructive as recent movies have depicted him.

    ReplyDelete